Thursday, March 18, 2010

Genetic Variety Blog 3/18/10




My Reebops demonstrate genetic variety in many different ways!
Genetic variety is basically an assortment of heredity, which my bugs show a lot of. To have a variety is to have a mixture or collection of all different things. When it comes to traits, the bugs have so much diversity!
My first bug has a green and brown body, my second bug has a green body, the third has a brown body, and my fourth is yellow. P1 has a curved and feathered antennae, while F3 has a curved antennae. Furthermore, my F2 was wings but my F3 does not have wings, and it's only a single generation difference! My P1, F1, and F2 all have stingers and my F3 does not have a stinger. That is certainly a variation!
It is not only the phenotypes that there are a medley of, but there are many different genotypes between generations as well! My P1 is heterozgyous (S,s) for having a stinger and my F1 is homozygous dominant (S,S) for having a stinger. The F2 Reebop is heterozygous (B,y) and brown and the F3 is homozygous recessive (y,y) and yellow.
How might bugs only a few generations apart be so different? Well, when a bug mates with another bug, the offspring could have many different alleles for different traits. Just because one parent of a bug is homozgyous dominant for red eyes does not mean the offspring certainly will be, too.
My Reebops demonstrate a lot of genetic variety because all four have many different genes.

No comments:

Post a Comment